Monday, December 15, 2008

24 Weeks

High Risk This week marks the date that I’m (“officially”) considered a high risk pregnancy. What that means…

  • We get more attention! More ultrasounds (every four weeks), more doctor visits (every two weeks now), more tests etc.
  • I’m more likely to have complications, be put on bed rest, delivery early… 50% of twins are born premature. Average twin birth is at 36 weeks, which would be March 4th for us. If our girls are born before 36 weeks, they will be taken care of in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) at Children’s Hospital (connected to United)
  • I’ll deliver in an operating room, not one of those nice “comfortable” maternity rooms hospitals now have. They do try to make it less sterile by letting us bring our own music to play and will have aromatherapy choices as well. (What kind of music do you play during labor? I’m not sure I’ll know. Will I want it be relaxing or something upbeat, like what I listen to on the radio?)

…and the list could go on, but we’re trying not to think about all of that. So far it’s been a great pregnancy.

Ultrasound We had another ultrasound this week. It’s so fun to see them moving around because I don’t feel nearly half of it. Baby A is vertex (head down), a good thing, but there is still plenty of time for her to move. Hopefully she’ll run out of room and stay in that position. Baby B is breech just like I has suspected, and her butt is in her sister's face – at least they have a little separation! She also likes to rub up against my ribs. I’m afraid that’s just the start of that fun feeling – she really has no where else to go. Measurements were taken of their heads, femur bones, etc. These measurements are then averaged to give them an estimated age – both were slightly ahead of 24 weeks so they’re growing just like they should. Baby A is approximately 1 lb. 6 oz. and Baby B is 1 lb. 8 oz. Over the next few weeks their growth rate should be about 6 oz. each week; I’m afraid to think about what that means for my belly! I’m just starting to feel uncomfortable and unable to get a good sleep.

Holiday Season Ready or not it’s here! It struck me on Thanksgiving that it hadn’t even crossed my mind that it was time to put up the Christmas tree. I’ve been so busy with work, doctoring, holiday events, that I’ve just been going day by day. Well the tree is finally up, after about a week long process, but at least it’s up. I have to admit it did cross my mind not to bother, but I really need its presence to get me in the spirit. We also ventured out today, despite the weather (freeways have been shut down due to blizzard conditions not that far from here). We actually got quite a bit accomplished, so that was satisfying.

Coming Out This week was my holiday party for Campbell Mithun, which was held this year at the (new) Gutherie, a beautiful setting. It was fun to see many of my co-workers who I rarely see now that I work on the General Mills account. Some knew I was pregnant and others didn’t or hadn’t realized yet – surprise! I received lots of “ooh you’re so cute” and “you’re so little.” I giggled and thought I should have brought a recorder for when those comments run out in about a month and the cuteness is not little anymore!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yaaay! I'm so happy to read that the girls are growing perfectly and that you are feeling pretty good. You must be looking super cute right now, you have to get pictures up now and then of your growing waistline. You will look back at those pictures in amazement when are are back down to your little self. I was thinking of you last night when I was at the hospital with my sister. You are in for such a big wonderful day! Two babies! That will be so beautiful. I can't wait! Keep up the good work growing the girls so well! Love you guys tons! Thanks for keeping the blog so I can see how it's going without harassing you! haha.

Erin J said...

We are SO excited for you guys and can't wait to meet the girls! I knew that having a baby was going to be the most special, memorable event in my life, but I couldn't imagine just how special it was. I wish you all of the wonder and amazement that I'm still feeling. Keep up the blog! LOVE reading it!! Erin & Cliff

Lindsay Hartshorn said...

I just miss my boss. You look radiant! Happy New Year and can't wait to visit you in 2009!!!