Wednesday, November 12, 2008

20 Weeks

We’re starting a blog page tonight to keep all of our friends and family updated until our little ones arrive. It has been a wonderful experience so far – exciting and scary all at once – and it’s definitely affirmed how much we are loved by so many people. The excitement shared by everyone has been overwhelming! Thus we thought this would be the easiest way to keep all of you updated. We will do our best to make regular entries.

Today was significant in our 38 week journey (twins are full term at 38 weeks v. 40 weeks). We had our long anticipated 20 week ultrasound – we hadn’t had an ultrasound since 9 weeks, which seems like a lifetime ago now. Both of our babies – for now known as “Baby A” and “Baby B” – look healthy & are growing just like they should be. It’s a relief to know everything is going well. I’ve also felt their kicks already, which has been reassuring. It’s amazing what the ultrasound techs tell us they see – bladder, brain stem, stomach, kidneys, etc. – but it looks like a bunch of nothing to us! We did catch “Baby A” yawning which was pretty cute. They are fraternal twins (not identical), so they are in separate sacs – able to kick each other, but not touch! And some fun news too… we found out that we’re having girls!

We started our class “Expecting Multiples” this week at United Hospital. It’s so wonderful that there is even such a thing. There are approximately eight couples all having twins. It’s quite an eclectic group so I’m sure we’ll have stories to share with you! The class is 6 weeks and pretty comprehensive including “relaxation techniques” (AKA massages from my loving husband – I’m pretty sure he didn’t know he was going to be put to work!). The most interesting tidbit I learned was that twins actually mature faster than “singletons” because they are growing together. This was comforting as we know our babies will most likely arrive early – average twin birth is at 36 weeks. Our official 40 week due date is April 1 (no kidding!), so most likely you’ll will meet our girls in March.

Last weekend we started shopping for nursery furniture. Pete got pretty overwhelmed and will probably be happy with whatever I pick out in the end. It will be a little easier now that we know we’re shopping for girls and pink, of course! This weekend Brook and Steph are taking me to create our baby registry, so with their motherly help I know that won’t be nearly as overwhelming as it could be.

8 comments:

Steve said...

I remember attending those classes before Peter was born, together with the lovely Robin. After all the time we spent breathing and stroking etc., by the time Robin got to the labor room, she could not have cared less that I was in the room! Good luck Pedro. Can you post the ultrasound "pictures"?

Erin J said...

I have been thinking of you two (four) all week and practicing patience while waiting to hear if your little ones are girls or boys or both. I am so excited for you guys! Now I know who I can pass the baby girl clothes to if we have a boy. I have a few really cute little girl things.

Anonymous said...

YAAAY! Sisters! They are going to be so lucky to have eachother! I love my sisters to death! CONGRATS again! haha. I can't wait to meet them! Take care of yourself! XOXO

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to be expanding our family with two precious little girls -- just can't wait to hold them and, of course, spoil them.

Congrats to Pete, Alli, and all the rest of the grandparents-to-be!

Heather said...

I am so excited for you both, twins are a lot of things...an adventure in love, patience, and learning. You have to learn to just go with the flow because your life as you know it is about to change but definitely for the better. There is no feeling like the feeling you will have when you first hold those little bundles of joy. Enjoy every minute before they come, those movements you feel Allie will just get more special, the ultrasounds will become even more amazing, and that moment when you realize that soon you will be able to look at your little girls and actually meet them for the first time is unbelievable. I am so very happy for you both and can't wait for my twins to meet yours.

Vicki Seidl said...

I am so happy for the two of you, or should I say four of you? It seems like yesterday, Mark and I attended those classes. Now 18 years old and gone. Enjoy the moment ! I can't wait to buy for little girls,how fun will that be?

Robin said...

Love and congrats to you both!!! I'm cherishing the reality of being a grandma:)! Yes, I remember when Pete was born...promptly on his due date! Steve is right about the delivery...the outside world didn't seem to matter when the labor got intense....sorry Steve. I'm looking forward to hearing more as your pregancy progresses...savor this amazing time.

Lindsay Hartshorn said...

I cannot wait to come back to MN and see you and hopefully meet the girls! I am SO happy for you and I have no doubt in my mind you are going to be the best mom ever! You were pretty much a mama to me out there :) I miss you so much!! I want to get an update on the rest of your life soon! XO Lindsay H (PS. I am signed in under a stupid name I had to make for a class in college! HA! But it is me :) )